My kids love making volcanic eruptions with baking soda and vinegar. The other day an idea came to me that I knew they would just love!
For all the best kids activities
What could make the old baking soda & vinegar trick more fun than it already is? Adding sound of course! This was such a simple addition, but it made the WOW factor that much more impressive for my kids.
Begin by making your volcano. There are several easy ways to do this. Here are 5:
- Make a volcano from play dough
- Make a paper-mache volcano
- Use dirt to make a volcano
- Make a snow volcano
- If your kids have a sand box this sand volcano might be for you
Any way you choose to make your volcano is fine. You can even give kids a bowl to use as their "volcano" if simplicity is what you are after.
Materials needed to make the sound eruptions:
- Have kids mix 1/2 pack of Pop Rocks into 1/2 cup of baking soda.
- Add the baking soda mixture to your volcano or bowl
- Give kids one cup of vinegar. Have kids color the vinegar using food coloring if desired. Then have them slowly pour the vinegar into the volcano or bowl
Kids will stare in awe as the volcano erupts and pops. Our sound volcano exploded with sound for a few minutes! I was quite impressed by how long the Pop Rocks lasted.
Make sure you have lots of baking soda, Pop Rocks, and vinegar on hand. Kids will want to do this simple bit of science again & again!
Note: You can buy all the materials needed for this Experiment in bulk by clicking the links below:
Other Fun Activities