We set out on a mission last week and had lots of fun coming up with all sorts of new play times that glow. This glow in the dark NEON rice was easy to make and tons of fun!
For All the Best Kid Activities
Glow in the Dark NEON Rice Materials
Note: While it isn't needed I do recommend using a black light for this activity. Glow in the dark paint will glow without one, but a black light really intensifies the glow and produces the best result. You can use a black light fixture or a black light flashlight; both work great!
- Place 2 cups of rice into a zip seal bag, using one bag for each color of rice you wish to make.
- Add about a tablespoon of the glowing paint of your choice.
- Add roughly 2-3 tablespoons of water. The water makes the paint runny, which helps it coat the rice while allowing you to also use less paint.
- Seal the bag and then shake, knead, and mix until the rice is evenly coated. Rosie loves helping with this part. Then lay the rice out to dry on a cookie sheet or similar container.
- That's it! Once the rice is dry pour it into a sensory bin or container, and the play can begin!
My girls had a blast playing and exploring with the glowing rice!
We eventually added animals and other toys, and they found lots of fun ways to play and explore
The rice turned out so vibrantly colorful and fun
The best part about this rainbow rice is that it is not just fun in the dark. It is fun with the lights on, too!
Just look at how beautiful and vibrant it is!
Here are the paints we use. If you use fluorescent paint your rice will GLOW under a black light. If you use glow in the dark paint it will glow in the dark, but it will glow better with a black light. You can find a colorful variety of glow in the dark paints here. The glowing cups we used can be found here.
Instead of making plain old rainbow rice why not make GLOWING rice and have the whole room aglow? Explore and play both ways or save the GLOWING aspect for an added element of fun here and there. Either way, I know we will be playing with our GLOWING rainbow rice quite often!
If you enjoyed this post please pin it and share it on Facebook!
Other activities to try: