Grow Your Own
Easter Basket Grass
For All the Best Kid Activities
It takes a couple of weeks for the grass to fully grow, so I do recommend starting this project a few weeks before Easter. My girls really had so much fun with this! Are you ready to give it a try?
Note: You want to make sure you use fast growing grass seed. It can be purchased at Home Depot, Walmart, or online here and here. Plastic plant saucers can also be purchased online here and here.
- Fill your plant saucer about halfway with potting soil
- Pat the dirt down a bit with your hand, and then cover the dirt with quick grow grass seed
- Press the seeds into the dirt, and then fill the saucer with more dirt
- Place your plant saucer in a sunny window, and water it daily. You should begin seeing sprouts in 3-5 days
- Once the grass sprouts it grows really quickly! This is what our grass looked like after one week
Rosie and Jewel loved watering the grass everyday, and they really enjoyed watching it grow
You should have enough grass for your Easter basket in a little over a week, but you can grow it longer if you prefer. The longer it is left to grow the fuller the grass will become
Extend the project:
- Read books about plants and how they grow
- Let kids give their grass a "haircut"
- Once Easter is over make a grass sensory bin
More Fun Activities